Saturday, January 5, 2019

"BACK" to the Doc

My last entry was looking a little more positive. I thought I was getting back to Harbour and normality but I have taken a turn back down the back pain road. This winter break, where I had imagined myself... and had filled in my calendar with dance classes at Harbour... turned into some basic stretching and yoga at home with my Beach Body on Demand membership. Trying to stay positive, I also studied and have almost completed a 200 hour yoga course... adding to my bag of tricks. Now, if I could only move freely.  

But what really kept me happy this winter, was my son and getting to hang out with him everyday. Today he made me a sandwich and delivered it to me with a knife and spoon rolled up in a face cloth. Not that I needed to be served, he just really wanted to play waiter and he just learned to make his own sandwich. The other thing that has kept me happy, are people that have joined my research task to help me bring my project to reality. I was really worried that I was not going to have anyone participate and now I have four art works plus my own and I have had others that have said they would give it a go. All participants have until the end of January to contribute - so anyone else who wants to be part of this piece, still has time. I am hoping that I can move more freely in February when I pull all the pieces together.


Let's look at this calendar again, without all the pink. Even though I have been injured I have kept mobile. I have modified and I haven't given up. I have made a new friend at school, Erin, and we have been working on our fitness with Autumn in the mornings before school. I look forward to getting back to your morning workouts next week. We are going to be starting 80 Day Obsession Phase 2. I also plan to keep going to Bikram once a week to stretch out my body and back and also do the yoga workouts on Beach Body on Demand. I just started the Three Week Yoga Retreat and plan to keep that up on breaks at school and weekends. So far, stretching, yoga, and rolling have been the only things that have brought me relief from back pain.

I am lucky to get in for a CT scan on Monday morning and I have a follow up with my doctor in two weeks. From there, I will make a plan to recover or manage or deal with whatever is going on with my back. Just knowing that I will have a plan to overcome this latest challenge - soon - is also keeping me positive. Harbour will be there when I am better and I will dance up a storm. Now, I must keep my mind on recovery, teaching, and completing my masters. (and applying for new jobs so I can escape the rain winters and add some adventure to my(our) life (lives).)

I don't know what I weigh today, but before the Winter Break I weighed myself and I was 148. I have been sticking to Autumn's 80 Day Obsession timed nutrition during the week at school and then a little less strict on the weekends, with weekends where we are away - not stressing about food - just enjoying and getting back to my plan. I hadn't been doing the workouts for phase one on the weekends - or even everyday - just moving them to fit my schedule and I still got results. (even modifying.) Nutrition really is the key. It is much easier to eat healthy at school when I don't have the boys around. So, I am looking forward to getting back to school. But, I will never forget that cute little sandwich with apple slices my son just made me. He is growing up so fast. 



No comments:

Post a Comment