Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thursday 7 - 8:30pm Jazz 40 + Edge Performing Arts Center Los Angeles - Bill Prudich (Jenna Elfman)




So, I went to a jazz class at Edge Performing Arts Centre in Hollywood on my last night in LA. I kinda chickened out and went to the 40 + class instead of going to a normal class. I thought it would be less intimidating and I wouldn't over exert myself. I also bribed myself with Edge sweat pants if I went. (Which I didn't end up getting because the Harbour ones are way nicer!)

The phone told me it would take thirty-six minutes to get there when I checked the night before. So, I decided I would leave an hour before so I would have plenty of time to register and all that. (pick out sweat pants and take a gander) I checked the phone again around 5:50 .. I was planning on leaving at six.. and now it told me it was going to take forty-five minutes. Yikes! I better get going. I snap shotted the quickest route and away I went. Well, I forgot my ears at the car and had to go back inside to get my ears. I wanted to hear the music and the teacher.

Anywho - obviously LA driving (The MAIN reason I would never live here) took much longer than the phone told me. There was some construction on Venice Blvd and we all had to merge into one lane. This took an extra fifteen minutes. I continued on and told myself that Harbour classes started later.. but then remembered a teacher from LA complaining about that about Harbour... then thought.. oh no! Then I thought, I would just keep on and walk in late and say sorry.. or if too late see if there was another class I could take. I made it about five minutes late. I walked in and put on my LA Stance socks. (Jonny got me new dancing socks since I left mine at home.) I took a place back left and just rolled with it.

I was relieved right away. The class was forty plus. We did some plies and tendus. We sat down and did stretching on the floor. There were no sit-ups or push-ups. We did ATF ... a lot of them.. but really simple and jazzy... old jazzy. We did one jump ... big skips. Cool... no hurting myself in this class! The last half hour we did a jazzy choreo. It wasn't too long and he taught it really slow. We split into groups and we did the dance about four times each, one more time all together and then it was time to go.

I really enjoyed Bill's teaching style. He gave corrections and had silly analogies to go along with choreo.. like come over to my house... no, I changed my mind... turn.. ball change. When you are turning your arms should hold a large pumpkin. When you are doing piques don't cut under yourself... go where your foot is reaching to. Those were some of the things he said to the class.

AND... Jenna Elfman was in our dance class. Her two kids were outside the studio and then she invited the in to sit in the corner. She would dance and make funny faces over to them but without distracting the class too much. She is just as beautiful in real life as she is on TV. I didn't really talk to her. I definitely had one peeper on her the whole time thought.. cause... it is Dharma!

Anywho.. great end to a great vacation. We head to Santa Cruz.. which is home direction.. tomorrow morning! It will be awesome to see everyone and get back into school routine.

jonny loves to lay out my dance clothes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment