Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tuesday 5km Tempo - Week 13 - PB for 5km!!

5 km
23:22 mins
4:39 min/km
377 cals

I GAVER!! I came home from school intent on doing yoga and running but for some reason yawning and wanting a nap. So, I had a nap for an hour and twenty minutes. I had some peanuts and water and went downstairs groggily choosing songs for the on-the-go playlist. I didn't choose that well but man did I ever make run!!

This was a tempo run and I don't think I have tried to run the tempos all that fast lately. I decided that this time I would try to go as fast as I could. I focused on moving my feet and counting one, two, three, four. I was passing people. I was breathing hard. I was sweating and I was wishing I was done when I had still two kilometers left to go. I slowed down a bit but once I caught my breath again I got  my feet back up to the same cadence.

I got to my alley and I it was time to stop and some girl's voice came on telling me I had run my fasted 5km. YAY!! My pace on my Nike Plus was 4:39!!! I smiled and through my hands into the air. What a great run!

Just found this while looking for an image:
Many top runners run more than 100 miles a week because their bodies have the genetic ability to withstand such abuse, but the vast majority of runners will never be able to run 100 miles a week without being injured frequently. Furthermore, running a lot of miles slowly will slow you in races. The ability to run fast in races depends more on how fast you run in practice than on how many miles you run each week. However, every time you run fast, your muscles are damaged and feel sore on the next day, and it takes at least 48 hours for your muscles to heal enough to allow you to run comfortably again at a very-fast pace. After every workout in which you run very fast, take the next day off or run at a much slower pace. Most top athletes plan their workouts so they run very fast only two days a week. The same principles apply to any endurance sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment