Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday 2.5 km/ 3*400 Hills - Week 7

Here is the E-mail I got from one of my run leaders:

Do a one km warm up to a hill then do 3 hills and a one km cool down run home. Things to think about - look at the crest of the hill not down - you have a cup on your head and you don't want to drop it, arms at your side 90 degree angle swinging forward - think of pulling up a rope or cross country skiing for arm movement. Legs think of fluid movement, land on the ball of your foot and kick your leg back - think of the road runner. last but not least lean forward slightly - think of pushing a door open with your chest.

Technique is more important than speed - be consistent and strong up each hill - use the downhill as a way to bring your heart rate down. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Broughton street was recommended for my hill. SO.. I will run down my alley and along the sidewalk to the parking lot by my old house and up Broughton.. 3 times and run back. I think I will be able to get my Saturday run in there - it is 3km and if I only need 2.5 km as a warm-up.... it is about 6 there and back... so the other half can be Saturday's. Then.. Friday I can do Thursday's 5 steady.. cause I will be at school for 12.5 hours.

I am at school right now!! But.. I am going home to do this run and I hope the sun stays out. I will let you know how it goes!!

7.76 km
41:57 mins
5:24 min/km
582 cals

Wow - that was what I needed. I needed to get out in the last bit of the sun today and just run. Get out of school. I ran down my alley to the sidewalk above the C wall and all the way to Broughton. (Which is the street that I used to turn down from Davie to get to Tara G's old apartment... the one we used to make all the G's for and play NBA Jam in.. ALL THE TIME!) Anywho - I ran up the hill thinking about pushing a door open with my chest, imagining it was flat, and not moving at all like the road runner. I ran to the alley before Davie then ran back down. I did this three times but I don't think it is 400 meters... I will have to check that next time. I think it might be 200 meters - but that is the hill they said to use and it was flat after that.. it is really steep though. I didn't run back down that side the last time. I ran towards English Bay down the alley instead. I just felt like running. I was running slow. I ran to the C wall and went home all the way that way. The Mist Screen wasn't on and that path was open. The tide was out - way out.

I started running in the sun and when I got back it was dark. The two Yaletown intersections were closed off because of street performers. I like this block party madness!! Matt Wong is performing tonight from 8-9. I am going to go and watch him dance down in my hood! That is so cool. I will take some photos.. I should bring my camera with the flash!!!

Hill session one DONE! (and I liked it!!)
Here is my photo session on the way to school - from dark to light!!

No comments:

Post a Comment